Date: October 25, 2023
Location: 0566 Life Sciences Building, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
The Department of Entomology at Louisiana State University (LSU) is inviting applications for the position of Assistant/Associate Professor in Insect Systematics and Biodiversity. The selected candidate will be responsible for research, teaching, and extension/outreach activities.
This twelve-month, tenure-track appointment includes:
- Research (55%): The successful candidate will be expected to develop a nationally and internationally recognized, extramurally funded research program focusing on modern approaches to systematics and biodiversity in insects.
- Teaching (30%): The incumbent will teach courses in insect taxonomy and systematics, general entomology, and a specialized course in their area of expertise.
- Extension/Outreach (15%): Responsibilities include diagnostics of current, emerging, and invasive insect pests, as well as delivering insect-related information and education through outreach and citizen science.
In addition to teaching and research, the chosen candidate will serve as the Director of the Louisiana State Arthropod Museum (LSAM), which is the primary repository for insects and related arthropods in Louisiana, housing around one million specimens.
- Applicants must hold a Ph.D. degree in entomology or a closely related biological discipline.
- A record of scholarly achievement in areas related to the position.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to secure extramural support.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates can apply online through the LSU careers portal. Application materials should include a curriculum vitae, undergraduate and graduate transcripts, names and addresses of three references, a statement on diversity, and a letter of application describing abilities, research and teaching interests, and the vision for the position. Application Deadline: January 15, 2024, or until a suitable candidate is identified.
For inquiries and further information, please contact:
Dr. Jeff Davis
Chair, Search Committee
Department of Entomology
404 Life Sciences Building
Louisiana State University
Baton Rouge, LA 70803
Salary and Benefits:
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. LSU offers an attractive benefits package with multiple benefit options, including retirement, medical insurance, supplemental insurances, tax-saving flexible benefits, holidays, leave benefits, and more.
LSU is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.