HII’s Mission Technologies division in Roanoke, VA, Virginia, United States, is offering an exciting Hardware Engineering Internship opportunity for individuals who enjoy understanding how things work, tinkering, and exploring the world of engineering. The division is part of a team of more than 7,000 professionals worldwide, delivering all-domain expertise and advanced technologies to mission partners across the globe.
About the Position:
- Company Name: HII’s Mission Technologies division
- Job Title: Hardware Engineering Intern
- Location: Roanoke, VA, Virginia, United States
- Requisition Number: 16393
- Employment Type: Part Time/Hourly/Non-Exempt
- Security Clearance: Ability to Obtain
- Level of Experience: Intern
This internship offers a unique opportunity for those fascinated by reverse engineering and microelectronics trust and assurance. The role involves working in a flipped engineering environment, specializing in reverse engineering and microelectronics trust and assurance.
- You’ll be responsible for performing reverse engineering tasks on existing products and integrating discoveries into HII’s codebase.
- You’ll also contribute to the development of a real software product used by hardware engineers, exposing you to various technologies, including hardware description languages, embedded instruction architectures, high-level software development languages, formal verification tools, and more.
- You will be expected to write clear and maintainable source code and provide a thorough test suite demonstrating code correctness.
- Collaboration with teammates on the development of new ideas and accepting constructive feedback through the code review process is essential.
- As an intern, you must be a U.S. citizen and be willing and able to obtain a DoD security clearance if not already cleared.
You meet the minimum qualifications if you:
- Have a High School Diploma or equivalent and are working towards a Bachelor’s degree with between 20% and 40% of the required credits completed.
- Are a United States citizen with the ability to obtain and maintain a DoD security clearance.
- Are enrolled in a bachelor’s program in a relevant engineering discipline.
- Have experience with object-oriented programming languages (C++, Java, Python).
- Have exposure to basic logic gates and Boolean math (AND, OR).
- Possess the ability to learn new skills quickly.
You go above and beyond if you:
- Already possess an active security clearance.
- Have experience with modern C++ standards (>= C++17) and STL.
- Have experience with Python.
- Are familiar with Verilog or VHDL.
- Have experience with FPGA design software (Quartus, ISE, Vivado, etc.).
- Have experience with software reverse engineering (IDA Pro, Ghidra, etc.).
- Have experience with source control systems (git, svn, perforce, etc.).
The Hardware Engineering Internship opportunity is within HII’s team in Roanoke, known for its expertise in FPGA and microelectronics system analysis. The team performs critical tasks for DoD customers, focusing on assuring, analyzing, and performing anti-obsolescence on DoD assets. This role also offers hybrid work-from-home opportunities, contributing to cleared work with a direct impact on national security.
Roanoke, the vibrant city in southwestern Virginia where this internship is based, offers outdoor activities, a thriving arts community, local restaurants, and a craft beverage scene while maintaining a low cost of living. Metropolitan areas like Washington, D.C., Richmond, VA, and Charlotte, NC, are also within driving distance. It’s an ideal place to embark on an exciting engineering career journey.
If you’re passionate about understanding how things work and you’re excited about the world of engineering, this Hardware Engineering Internship might be your ideal stepping stone.
HII is deeply committed to diversity, believing that it strengthens the organization, fosters creativity, encourages the exchange of ideas, and enriches the work lives of all employees. All qualified applicants will receive equal opportunities in employment.